glurb.com  (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com): Iowa Message Board / Forum Happy Holidays

Go Back   glurb.com (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com): Iowa Message Board / Forum > Iowa (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com) > Other Iowa communities > Fort Dodge

Fort Dodge Fort Dodge, Iowa Message Board -- (in Webster County)

Old 02-06-2009, 10:58 AM

Post Iowa Department of Public Safety has let us down

Quote:
To the editor:
We're concerned that State Patrol Sergeant Rodney Hicok from Ft. Dodge, who sent a racist e-mail despite trying to frame it as political, received no real consequence other than a reprimand in his file because his 30-day suspension cannot be consummated due to technicalities. He carries a gun. He makes choices about whom he pulls over and how he treats them. We fear for a young man from Nigeria we call our son, who attends Iowa Community College in Ft Dodge. We fear for a lot of others with dark skin or who support our president, who live or travel where Sgt. Hicok patrols. They are at risk from the very authority sworn to protect them. And we all are at risk because he remains at work with a gun in his holster. Sgt. Hicok sullied himself and his colleagues by his action. But it's the Iowa Department of Public Safety that let us down by not removing a lawman who compromised the safety of us all.

Mike and Jeanne Coverdale
Nevada
http://www.midiowanews.com/site/tab5...d=558590&rfi=6
Old 02-06-2009, 11:07 AM
Momma

A bit of an over-reation by the Coverdales, it seems.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:28 PM
Remember the Alamo

I'd like to read the email that the cop sent.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:41 PM
Momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50201 View Post
I'd like to read the email that the cop sent.
http://www.deathbyemail.com/2009/01/...ama-email.html

Iowa State Patrol Sgt. Rodney Hicok of Fort Dodge -- a man with more than 20 years of experience -- was placed on paid leave last week because he is suspected of forwarding offensive emails on Friday, January 16th. these messages contained disparaging remarks in relation to 15 mug shots in which all the individuals are wearing Barack Obama t-shirts or other campaign propaganda. The subject line was: "The new fashion statement for mugshots!"

The Des Moines Register reported Friday that an accompanying note says: "I've seen some 'unique individuals' aka S---HEADS wearing these type shirts myself He has quite a fan base. Nice to know that the low-lifes are getting involved in politics now."
Old 02-06-2009, 01:52 PM
Glurber

How does any of this cause concern for your safety? Does the deputy have a record of performing his job in a racist fashion? Does he have a skewed arrest record to one race or the other? I have more than a few times seen e-mails that have been passed around similar to this, and look at any post by "The Smoking Gun" and you will find similar things. Just because a person forwards these type of emails to someone does not make them any more or less dangerous than the next guy. People need to lighten up, punish him for using the company email, whatever, but let's not blow this out a proportion, which is exactly what a lot of people are going to or will want to do.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:36 PM
Glurber

Default Those we bestow power upon can easily ABUSE that power!

Just because I have challenged those within I am labeled "unsafe" to be given a license to carry a concealed weapon. Why shouldn't this officer be labeled "unsafe" to carry a weapon?

Do we really want to give away our right to Protect and defend ourselves? Do we really think we have to allow a supposed "professional" to have all the controls? We are good enough to pay their wages, provide them with the facility to operate inn, to provide them with the tools,etc.

We are giving away all our rights, and indeed making ourselves "PUPPETS" to those within who indeed are given unconditional, unregulated power! How many citizens have to show concern for their safety, or the safety of others before we take these problems seriously, and FIGHT for our rights to Protect, and defend ourselves, our property, our possessions, our family, etc. etc. etc. ?

I don't think the Coverdale's are overreacting, and neither have I been!!

Rhonda Appelgate
Old 04-18-2009, 10:13 AM
I haven't posted much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub_Fan4life View Post
How does any of this cause concern for your safety? Does the deputy have a record of performing his job in a racist fashion? Does he have a skewed arrest record to one race or the other? I have more than a few times seen e-mails that have been passed around similar to this, and look at any post by "The Smoking Gun" and you will find similar things. Just because a person forwards these type of emails to someone does not make them any more or less dangerous than the next guy. People need to lighten up, punish him for using the company email, whatever, but let's not blow this out a proportion, which is exactly what a lot of people are going to or will want to do.
Exactly.........why would this email bring fear to someone from Nigeria?
Old 04-18-2009, 01:49 PM
Remember the Alamo

The original e-mail was mug shots from Chicago, where a lot of people that are arrested are black, not all of the mugs shots were of blacks but they were mostly wearing obama t-shirts.

The e-mail
http://sayanythingblog.com/entry/cop...gshots_of_oba/

The mugshots
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive...mugyear20.html

Every knows Obama has a big following in Chicago, especially among the blacks of Chicago, and the shirts were given away in volume. Its his home town.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:40 AM
Glurber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCub View Post
A bit of an over-reation by the Coverdales, it seems.