glurb.com  (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com): Iowa Message Board / Forum Happy Holidays

Go Back   glurb.com (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com): Iowa Message Board / Forum > Iowa (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com) > General Message Board

General Message Board (for topics that don't fit in anywhere else)

Old 04-18-2008, 02:51 PM
Momma

Default MisterCub's Kook of the Day

Alcyn Bucklew
Co-President of the Drake Environmental Action League

"I've always been really interested in social justice. It wasn't until I came to college that I realized environmental issues are very much connected with people. It's not just about animals, rocks, and plants; it has a lot to do with democracy. I am really interested in how the way we treat the Earth impacts people and how that affects equity."
Old 04-18-2008, 03:01 PM
O.G.

Send a message via Skype™ to jmmather

Kook of the day? How does caring about the environment make you a kook?
Old 04-18-2008, 06:26 PM
Chuck

if you don't know, you never will.:: Democracy for rocks is her goal as well as social justice for plants, a noble liberal cause if you read her logic however faulty and fruitless it is. Wish she had been around as I murdered my tomato plants late fall, she would have made me feel ever so guilty.

WHERE IS WRITTEN THAT ISU FANS SHOULD LOVE THE EASTERN IOWA BUMS & THUGS PARTY CENTER?

Mason, Barta and Ferentz are the Larry, Moe & Curly of the State of Iowa

Last edited by cyfan2; 04-18-2008 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:56 PM
glurber in the rough

Mistercub's Kook of the Day. . .

Kinda says it all, hmmmmm????
Old 04-21-2008, 09:23 AM
Momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmather View Post
How does caring about the environment make you a kook?
Lamenting the destruction of the Brazilian rain forest while clutching a cup of coffee, wearing hemp accessories, and prosthelytizing on toilet paper abuse...that's what makes her a kook.

Last edited by MisterCub; 04-21-2008 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:54 PM
glurber in the rough

She's holding a cup full of chalk, and hemp has nothing to do with rainforests, and my dad used to limit me to one square of toilet paper per use, and he was a hardcore republican who hated all hippies and environmentalists, so again, i guess mrcub takes the award for kook of the day.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:21 PM
Glurbmeister

I would have to say the cup doesn't have chalk in it (it does look like a dark liquid). But I do NOT think she is a kook for standing up for the enviroment.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:20 PM
Glurbmeister

It'd be nice if environmentalists put their money where their mouth was. Don't buy a "green" car. Ride a friggin' bike. (I know two college professors who haven't owned a car in the 20 years I've known them.

On a side note, it's always interesting to call them and ask to speak with "Dr. {Lastname}" as they'll reply "Which one?")
Old 04-21-2008, 04:20 PM
Glurbmeister

I would love to ride a bike or walk to work -- if I didn't work so far from home, I would. I do car pool to help save though!!
Old 04-21-2008, 10:55 PM
Glurber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mis5c3d View Post
I would love to ride a bike or walk to work -- if I didn't work so far from home, I would. I do car pool to help save though!!
why not consider working closer to home? At what price point will people consider it not worth it to drive 20 or 30 miles for a job?

I'm not saying you are doing wrong, just asking in general. If I Live in one town and work in another say 20 miles away, how much more do i need to make at my job as the price of gas goes up it may make more sence to take a lower paying job close to home.