glurb.com  (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com): Iowa Message Board / Forum Happy Holidays

Go Back   glurb.com (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com): Iowa Message Board / Forum > Iowa (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com) > Nevada, Iowa

Nevada, Iowa Nevada, IA Forum -- includes Collins, Colo, Maxwell, McCallsburg, and Zearing (in Story County)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-01-2010, 03:17 PM
raisingtrouble raisingtrouble is offline
glurber in training
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 85
Default Story County Current Inmate Roster

I have noticed that this guy has been sitting in jail since 2008 for murder. It was my understanding that if a person was sentenced to jail for more than a year, they were to be transferred to a State Prison.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Glenn Smith from 2008.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	602  
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-02-2010, 08:12 AM
Nick Danger's Avatar
Nick Danger Nick Danger is offline
Glurbanzo Bean
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,567
Default

Usually you will stay in a county facility while you await trial. The attachment you posted says this individual has only been charged with Murder.. Not convicted of it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-02-2010, 08:47 AM
bronxbomber bronxbomber is offline
Glurber
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Usually you will stay in a county facility while you await trial. The attachment you posted says this individual has only been charged with Murder.. Not convicted of it.
Correct. The over one year rule only applies to sentences. You can't serve more than a one year sentence in a county jail and must be convicted and sentenced to the custody of the Department of Corrections to be placed in prison.

A person can be held over a year while they await trial.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-02-2010, 09:56 PM
MommyJenna MommyJenna is offline
glurber in training
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 84
Send a message via Yahoo to MommyJenna
Default

Atiba Spellman was convicted of murder over a year ago and is still sitting in there...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-03-2010, 08:21 AM
bronxbomber bronxbomber is offline
Glurber
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyJenna View Post
Atiba Spellman was convicted of murder over a year ago and is still sitting in there...
There are several things that could be the reason. Once convicted, you have to be sentenced. That could be months or longer from the date you were convicted due to court motions, etc. In addition, you could have hearings on appeal issues, etc and the judge can order the person held at the county jail to avoid transportation costs, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-03-2010, 10:39 AM
gordon gordon is offline
Glurber
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 304
Default

Atiba is appealing his.. Hopes he rots in jail tho.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-05-2010, 08:03 PM
Tammy Tammy is offline
glurber in training
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 41
Default

I happened upon this site by accident and was suprised to see this conversation and was a little annoyed that the link was posted also. To "raising trouble" who are you and why are you so concerned about this person who is in jail? I am asking because that person happens to be MY brother! And from the looks of your post you are clueless regarding the law!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-05-2010, 10:38 PM
Santa Claus's Avatar
Santa Claus Santa Claus is offline
Momma
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,767
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
I happened upon this site by accident and was suprised to see this conversation and was a little annoyed that the link was posted also. To "raising trouble" who are you and why are you so concerned about this person who is in jail? I am asking because that person happens to be MY brother! And from the looks of your post you are clueless regarding the law!
I'm just guessing but, I think he asked why this person is still in the county jail instead of being transfered to a prison.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-06-2010, 12:25 AM
Tammy Tammy is offline
glurber in training
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 41
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa Claus View Post
I'm just guessing but, I think he asked why this person is still in the county jail instead of being transfered to a prison.

And my question is who is he and what business is it of his? He isnt in "prison" because he doesn't belong there!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-06-2010, 07:10 AM
Miner Miner is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,726
Default

I thought the post by "raising trouble" was a good attention getter. If you have relatives in the jail you shouldn't be so sensitive to comments. They are there for a reason usually.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22 AM.


Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
I got a brand new pair of roller skates!