glurb.com  (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com): Iowa Message Board / Forum Happy Holidays

Go Back   glurb.com (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com): Iowa Message Board / Forum > Iowa (a.k.a. HeyIowa.com) > Nevada, Iowa

Nevada, Iowa Nevada, IA Forum -- includes Collins, Colo, Maxwell, McCallsburg, and Zearing (in Story County)

Old 12-01-2010, 03:17 PM
glurber in training

Default Story County Current Inmate Roster

I have noticed that this guy has been sitting in jail since 2008 for murder. It was my understanding that if a person was sentenced to jail for more than a year, they were to be transferred to a State Prison.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Glenn Smith from 2008.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	602  
Old 12-02-2010, 08:12 AM
Glurbanzo Bean

Usually you will stay in a county facility while you await trial. The attachment you posted says this individual has only been charged with Murder.. Not convicted of it.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:47 AM
Glurber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Usually you will stay in a county facility while you await trial. The attachment you posted says this individual has only been charged with Murder.. Not convicted of it.
Correct. The over one year rule only applies to sentences. You can't serve more than a one year sentence in a county jail and must be convicted and sentenced to the custody of the Department of Corrections to be placed in prison.

A person can be held over a year while they await trial.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:56 PM
glurber in training

Send a message via Yahoo to MommyJenna

Atiba Spellman was convicted of murder over a year ago and is still sitting in there...
Old 12-03-2010, 08:21 AM
Glurber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyJenna View Post
Atiba Spellman was convicted of murder over a year ago and is still sitting in there...
There are several things that could be the reason. Once convicted, you have to be sentenced. That could be months or longer from the date you were convicted due to court motions, etc. In addition, you could have hearings on appeal issues, etc and the judge can order the person held at the county jail to avoid transportation costs, etc.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:39 AM
Glurber

Atiba is appealing his.. Hopes he rots in jail tho.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:03 PM
glurber in training

I happened upon this site by accident and was suprised to see this conversation and was a little annoyed that the link was posted also. To "raising trouble" who are you and why are you so concerned about this person who is in jail? I am asking because that person happens to be MY brother! And from the looks of your post you are clueless regarding the law!
Old 12-05-2010, 10:38 PM
Momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
I happened upon this site by accident and was suprised to see this conversation and was a little annoyed that the link was posted also. To "raising trouble" who are you and why are you so concerned about this person who is in jail? I am asking because that person happens to be MY brother! And from the looks of your post you are clueless regarding the law!
I'm just guessing but, I think he asked why this person is still in the county jail instead of being transfered to a prison.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:25 AM
glurber in training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa Claus View Post
I'm just guessing but, I think he asked why this person is still in the county jail instead of being transfered to a prison.

And my question is who is he and what business is it of his? He isnt in "prison" because he doesn't belong there!
Old 12-06-2010, 07:10 AM
Banned

I thought the post by "raising trouble" was a good attention getter. If you have relatives in the jail you shouldn't be so sensitive to comments. They are there for a reason usually.